Whatever happened to Walker Ellison’s family?
Walker Ellison was the son of Benjamin Ellison and Mary Maria Ambler of Baildon, West Riding Yorkshire. He was born on 31 AUG 1818 in Birstall, Yorkshire, England and was christened on 1 NOV 1818 at St. Peter’s Parish Church in Birstall.
On 11 NOV 1838 he married Margaret Cooper at the All Saint’s Church in Otley, Yorkshire. Walker and Margaret had two children: Mary Maria (1839-1909) and Benjamin Walker (1841-1913). Walker and Margaret are my 4th great-grandparents. Walker died on 31 MAR 1841 in Linton-on-Ouse, Easingwold, Yorkshire, England and is supposedly buried there. I have as of yet found his will. Walker was recorded as having been a wool sorter.
Benjamin Ellison was married on 13 AUG 1810 at St John the Evangelist Church in Baildon, Yorkshire to Mary Maria Ambler, the daughter of John Ambler (1757-1831) and Hannah Walker. Walker then was named after his maternal grandmother’s family name. Unfortunately, Mary Maria died shortly after having her last child on 25 MAR 1829 and she is buried, along with Benjamin, at St. Wilfrid’s Church in Burnsall and you can read their monument inscription here: http://www.burnsall.bradford.anglican.org/monuments.htm. Mary Maria was born 18 FEB 1786 in Baildon and was baptized on 19 FEB 1786 at St. John the Evangelist Church in Baildon. Mary Maria is descended from the wealthy Ambler family of Baildon. Benjamin was listed as being a bookkeeper and also often a gentleman on vital records.
The children of Mary Maria and Benjamin Ellison:
- Hannah Maria Margaret (1811 – ?)
- William (1813 – ?)
- John (1815 – 1816)
- Benjamin Ambler (1816 – ?)
- Walker (1818 – 1841)
- Christiana Sarah Alice (1821 – 1892)
- Peter Charles James (1823 – 1880)
- Jeremiah Thomas (1825 – 1844)
- Mary Martha (1828 – 1889)
1) Hannah Maria Margaret Ellison was born 30 JUN 1811 in Birstall, Yorkshire. She was married on 1 FEB 1830 to James Robinson. I have been unable to locate the Robinson’s in Yorkshire and suspect they immigrated but have been unable to trace them. Annie Hudson, Benjamin Walker Ellison’s half-sister, married Enoch Kimball Robinson (of Massachusetts) and I wonder if there isn’t a connection here. As Annie would not be a blood relation to the Robinson’s but may have met them through Benjamin Walker, a blood relation.
2) William Ellison was baptized on 19 SEP 1813 in Baildon at St. John the Evangelist Church. He was married on 16 MAY 1849 to Elizabeth Grimshaw (1817 – ?) at All Saints Church, Otley, Yorkshire. He is listed on the 1851 England Census in Bradford, Yorkshire on the 1861 Census in Eccleshill, Yorkshire and the 1871 and 1881 Censuses in Manningham, Yorkshire. William and Elizabeth had at least two children: Grimshaw and Mary E.
Grimshaw Ellison was born about 1853 in Bradford and married Mary Alice Walker (1859 – 1945) on 18 NOV 1891 in Baildon at St. John the Evangelist Church. On 27 NOV 1903, at the age of 50, Grimshaw arrived in New York, New York alone, having resided in Baildon as of the 1901 England Census. On 28 SEP 1904, Grimshaw died aboard the Ship Baltic while escorting his wife to America. Mary Alice arrived in New York two days later. She died about 1945 in Baildon. Grimshaw and Mary Alice had at least three children: William (1894 – ?), Mary Doris (1897 – ?) and the Reverend Geoffrey Walker (1898 – 1978).
3) Frances Rebecca Ellison UPDATE. I no longer believe she is a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Maria Ellison. She was the daughter of a Benjamin and Mary Ellison, but her mother Mary was from Middlesex, London and still living with Frances Rebecca in 1871 in Yorkshire. Also Frances Rebecca had two brothers: Francis Beaumont and George and I cannot find any mention that my Benjamin and Mary Maria had two additional sons with these names.
4) John Ellison was born JUN 1815 in Baildon and died 10 JAN 1816, buried at St. John the Evangelist, Baildon, Yorkshire.
5) Benjamin Ambler Ellison was born 22 SEP 1816 in Baildon, Yorkshire. He was baptized on 6 APR 1817 in Baildon at St. John the Evangelist Church. On 22 NOV 1841, Benjamin arrived in New York, New York. On 23 MAY 1844, he married Mary Patten at St James Cathedral Anglican Church in Toronto, Canada. He is listed on 1852 and 1861 Canada Census as living in York, Canada West. Benjamin and Mary had at least nine children: Maria (1844 – ?), Susanna (1845 – ?), Alice (1846 – ?), Benjamin Ambler (1848 – 1926), John (1850 – ?), William (1854 – ?), Elizabeth (1866 – ?), Margaret (1868 – ?), and Catherine (1869 – ?). It is Benjamin that was the first emigrant out of Baildon in Walker’s family and it is my guess that he convinced Walker’s widowed wife, Margaret and her new husband William Hudson and his younger sister, Christiana Sarah Alice and her husband Martin Taylor, to leave England. The Taylor’s lived by the Benjamin Ellison family after their arrival in New York in 1848.
Maria was born in 1844 in Canada. She was married to Thomas Lamb (1835 – ?) on 21 NOV 1865 in Haldimand, Ontario, Canada. The Lamb’s are listed on the 1880 US Census as living in Buffalo, Erie, New York. They had at least three children: William (1868 – ?), Emma (1870 – ?) and Thomas (1874 – ?).
Benjamin Ambler was born in 1848 in Ontario, Canada and was married to Sophia R. Birnie on 19 FEB 1880 in Ontario, Ontario, Canada. He died 8 DEC 1926 in Whitley, Ontario, Canada. They had at least one child: Margaret (1881 – 1945).
John was born 1850 in Canada and was listed on the 1880 US Census as living also in Buffalo, Erie, New York.
7) Christiana Sarah Alice was born about 1821 in Baildon, Yorkshire, England. On 31 MAY 1842, she married Martin Taylor (1819 – 1899) in Otley at the All Saint’s Church. She died on 13 SEP 1892 in Thorah, Ontario, Canada. On 15 SEP 1848, (Christiana Sarah) Alice, Martin and three of their children arrived in New York on the Ship Senator with Margaret and William Hudson and their children – Mary Maria Ellison, Benjamin Walker Ellison, Annie Hudson and Emma Hudson. Martin was a joiner; his father was John Taylor a dyer of Baildon. Alice and Martin Taylor had at least five children, the first three born in England: William (1844 – ?), Jeremiah (1846 – ?), Anne/Hannah (1848 – ?), Alice (1850 – ?), and Ada (1858 – ?). Beginning in 1852, the Taylor family is listed on Canada Censuses as living in York and then in 1871 in Ontario. They lived near Alice’s brother, Benjamin Ambler Ellison.
8) Peter Charles James was born 24 JUL 1823 in Yorkshire, England. He was married to Ann Steel (1825 – ?) on 13 AUG 1844 in Otley at the All Saint’s Church. On the 1851 England Census they are listed in Horton, Yorkshire and on the 1861 Census, in Baildon. On 12 SEP 1867, Peter arrived with his son Charles Steel in New York, New York, and he died 27 JUN 1880 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Peter and Ann had at least five children: Margaret (1846 – ?), Sophia (1849 – 1862), Alice (1850 – ?), Charles Steel (1853 – ?) and Emily (1855 – ?).
Charles Steel Ellison was born about 1853 in Bradford, Yorkshire, England. On the 1880 US Census he is listed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
9) Jeremiah Thomas Ellison was born 18 OCT 1825 in Yorkshire, England and died at 19 years of age on 24 NOV 1844 in Baildon, with burial at St. John the Evangelist.
10) Mary Martha Ellison was born 18 AUG 1828 in Burnsall, Yorkshire, England. She was married to Edward Poole Fearnley (1819 – ?) on 29 DEC 1849 in Baildon at St. John the Evangelist Church. On the 1851 England Census, they are listed in Shipley, Yorkshire and on the 1861 and 1871, they are in Bradford, Yorkshire. Mary Martha died in JUL 1889 in West Riding Yorkshire. Mary and Edward had at least four children: Samuel (1850 – ?), Alice (1853 – ?), Kate (1856 – ?), and Ellen (1858 – ?).
All of the information recorded above is sourced on my ancestry.com public ELLISON FAMILY TREE by Journeybooks. You will see the documents I found listed there. You can see this information without paying for a membership.
Please contact me through this blog if you are a cousin or have additional information. I look forward to hearing from you!
Jennifer Ralston Porter